Who else ever wonders what the world would be like today if Eve did not eat the forbidden fruit? I wonder what God had planned for man before the incident. The more I think about it, the more I see just how dangerous it is to give into temptation. In a world where everything bad is the new good, we are barely struggling to make it till the next day.
First of all to be tempted is not a sin. Those who are bold enough to admit that they are weak are instead always made fun of. We all get tempted, even though it comes at different levels. Even Jesus was tempted. The issue is how we respond to these temptations. It comes in sooooooooo many forms. We cannot avoid it but we can fight it. I have a few tips that I will share below on how to fight temptation.
Before I get to it, I want us to know that even if you have fallen into temptation in the past, you are not the worst human alive. No matter what it is you can still make a decision to start fighting it as from today. It all depends on you. So, dig in…
- Prayer is the key. If you are an atheist then this one will probably not help you. For me, prayer is the key. You do not need to make a prayer of 800 minutes. Just say it in your heart. Ask God to help you, trust me He wants nothing more than to help. But you have to ask for it, He will not just intervene in your free will like that. “Lead us not into temptation and deliver us from evil.” These words have more power than we even know. Try it today. Ask Him for help. I guarantee that it will work. You can work with 1,000 Prayer Points in 31 Days Toward Your Utmost Joy first.
- Remind yourself of the consequences. Before you give into it remind yourself of what it could lead you into. Is it really worth it? This one was easy for me to learn because my school mate got suspended for cheating. This guy left the exam hall and went outside to take his little sticky note where he had jotted down the answers. Of course he was caught (how do you want to cheat and be on the same level with those who worked hard? it does not work that way…) and suspended. He begged and said it is because he was afraid of failing. Our Dean told us that whenever you feel like cheating is the easier way, ask yourself if it is worth being suspended for. So, is it worth it? Do you really prefer prison to your home without a T.V?
- Repent Quickly When You Fail. In several places, the Bible tells us the best way to resist temptation is to flee from it (1 Corinthians 6:18; 1 Corinthians 10:14; 1 Timothy 6:11; 2 Timothy 2:22). Yet still, we fall from time to time. When we fail to flee from temptation, inevitably we fall.
- Flee. In Africa we have a proverb which goes “he who loses the battle lives to fight another day”. If you fell into temptation and got out free, that is not a good sign please. That is a sign that you have been given another chance and if you keep falling, the consequences will come in a way that you will not have time to understand them. Next time you encounter it, run! There is no shame in that at all. Flee from it, leave the environment. If it is in your mind, go out and run, visit a friend, do anything but nurture the idea of it.
- Anticipate temptation. Think of situations where you are likely to face temptation. Mentally rehearse how you will resist if such temptation occurs. Nobody is free from it. It helps if you rehearse your resistance. Let your mind and body believe that truly you want to resist. Here is a tip Fighting Temptations: Practical solutions to overcome every temptation
- strengthen your convictions. Remind yourself daily of what is wrong and right. This is becoming increasingly hard with our world today. Now wrong is the new right. You need to remind yourself that just because everyone seems to be doing it or accepting it as a norm, it does not make it right. If you do not stand for something, you will fall for anything.
As always, I hope this inspires someone today. I sure have been inspired. Also read your bibles more. Everything you need is in there. People today are worried about the bible because we are not very sure of who the author is. This should not even be an issue. The bible is a moral book, following it means you will not hurt people and that is the most important thing to humans; because you attract what you send out into the world.