In continuation with my Learning Series; adapted from a motivating and inspiring write-up which I felt would be very useful for both students and the Society as a whole with day – to – day instances, to encourage positive thinking and improve efficiency !!
WRITE YOUR RESUME ! (IT SPEAKS A LOT ABOUT YOU!) A resume is a documentary record of your contact details, educational qualifications, skills and employment history in a nutshell. As it establishes your details, it should be appealing and convincing. Listed below tips helpful in preparing your resume.
What does a Resume Contain?
1. Name with contact Information- Your postal address, email and mobile number.
2. Objective: appears just below the contact information. It briefly describes the type of job you want and also skills that make you the best candidate for the job.
3. Education- All your educational qualifications, the most recent first.
4. Work Experience -the company, job title and responsibilities etc.,
5. Achievements if any, Skills, Interests & Languages known-any relevant skills in terms of software and hardware and other technical skills.
Tips for Writing a Resume:
• First write down all the details that you want to include in your resume.
• Select a format
• Be simple, brief and straight
• Do NOT lie about your qualifications and experience
• Sometimes resumes are filtered by keywords, so see that the words associated with the job are included.
• Don’t leave unexplained gaps in the time line. (a year off etc. )
• Do NOT COPY someone else’s Resume
• Ask your friend or a teacher to check it for spelling mistakes. Review, Revise and Edit.
• Avoid fancy fonts and colours
• Print it on one side of sheet only. LIMIT it to ONE PAGE
• Use A4 size paper
With these tips in mind try to prepare your own resume. Remember your employer does not spend more than 30 seconds on it. Hence be clear and concise!
Model Resume should include:
- Name with contact Information
- Objective : What the candidate wants
- Details of Education : Year-Course-Institute-percentage
- Details of Internship / Experience / achievements
- Begin with verbs like: Developed Planned Conducted Compiled Participated Analyzed
- Designed Wrote Managed Execute Operated Monitored
- Skills & Interests : relevant to the job may be given
- Languages Known
- Give the name of the person who knows you and also inform him/her that you
have mentioned him/her as your reference