In continuation with my Learning Series; adapted from a motivating and inspiring write-up which I felt would be very useful for both students and the Society as a whole with day – to – day instances, to encourage positive thinking and improve efficiency !!
INTERVIEW SKILLS (GRAB YOUR DREAM JOB !) Most of you think twice when you hear about campus interviews! But with some skills and ideas about interviews, you can easily get through them. Listed below such interview tips !
4 P ’s Technique to have success in interview:
PREPARE • PRACTICE • PRESENT • PARTICIPATE
“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe” – Abraham Lincoln
Observe how these two candidates succeeded:
A fresh graduate with a Psychology degree was able to grab a job as a Retail Store Manager for a high-end clothing line. She could beat people with many years of experience. To the question,“Why are you the perfect candidate?”, she replied,
“I belong here. I’m like a blank slate that can absorb all the right information for getting the job done. I’m new, I’m fresh and very eager to learn, I won’t be as complacent as all these other applicants.”
“I wanted to let you know that I just received an offer for an Associate position with McKinsey. It was the culmination of nearly three months of near-constant preparation. I used your LOMS program and your PST prep resources throughout the process…”
What made them succeed?
Confidence, presence of mind, wits and preparation are the secrets here.
Practice the following questions:
Facing interviews is a nightmare for some students, but for some others it is an excellent forum to display their knowledge, skills and confidence. Can you guess the reason? It’s simple – “Enough Practice”. A list of frequently asked questions is given below. One is tried as an illustration; try answering the remaining?
1. Introduce Yourself.
2. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
My strengths are adaptability, positive attitude and hardworking nature.
My weakness is I find it difficult to tell lies what so ever the reason.
3. Can you tell something about our company?
4. Why should we hire you?
5. Are you willing to relocate/travel?
6. What was the toughest decision you ever had to make?
7. Would you lie for the company?
8. On a 10 point scale how do you rate yourself in communication skills?
9. How long would you like to work for us if we hire you?
10. How much salary you expect from us?
Take a glance:
85% of the interviews are decided in first two/three minutes. So be careful about:
• Eye contact
• Body language
• Right posture
• Organize all the required material neatly.
• Have a good dress sense, groom well.
• Reach the place of interview well in advance.
• Be cheerful and expressive.
• Have positive body posture.
• Be honest, sincere and simple in your talk.
• Be assertive and confident.
• Be polite in answering.
• Leave a good last impression by saying “thank you.”
• Replace the chair and other things in the original place when you leave the room.
• Don’t search for anything in an interview as it creates a bad impression.
• Don’t fold arms or close palms.
• Don’t drag the chair and make a noise.
• Don’t be rigid. Don’t cross your legs.
• Don’t tell lies.
• Don’t be very submissive or aggressive.
• Don’t argue, confront, challenge.
• Don’t feel frustrated if you lose the interview.
Useful quotations :
- “People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents” – Andrew Carnegie
- “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas Edison
- “Peace begins with a SMILE” – Mother Teresa
- “Success without confidence is not possible. Being successful in life is very important.” – Barack Obama
- “Climbing to the top demands strength, whether it is to the top of Mount Everest or top of your career.” -Abdul Kalam
Always be Happy; always wear a Smile, Not because Life is full of reasons to Smile, but because your Smile itself maybe a reason for many others to Smile ;The Greatest Thing In Life Is Love And The Second Is Laughter..