I had written in one of my previous posts about my learning experience from an illness and how I recovered from it just by drinking lots of water. As a continuation of that post, I decided to write about my journey from being a non-drinker to a proud drinker of water.
We all know that water is one of the most essential elements needed by our body. In fact, a major part of our body is made up of water. Though I knew this right from my childhood days I never gave it much importance and hence never drank enough water. Some days, I would drink just one bottle of water, the whole day. My family and friends told me to have more water but I just couldn’t.
This started affecting my body slowly. I started getting small issues and the doctors kept asking me to have lots of water but still I didn’t pay much heed. Then one day I got a bigger illness and the only treatment for it was having lots and lots of water. Thus, began my journey from non drinker to a proud drinker of water. The good habit got instilled in me because of an illness and I decided to continue it forever. From not drinking enough water to drinking 4-5 litres of water everyday, improved my health drastically.
I realized that it is not easy to instill the habit of drinking lots of water and so I decided to share my tips on how to drink more water. I know there are many articles being written about it. You may already know all the tips I mention here, but do give them a read because knowing something and putting it into practice are two different things. If you keep reading the tips in different articles, chances of you believing them and putting them into practice are more.
- Deciding the quantity of water intake – It is important to decide the quantity of water you intend to take everyday. Your body will give you an indication if the water intake is less and accordingly you can increase it. For example, in summers you will feel thirsty and in winters your lips and skin will become dry. Normally, it is said that we should have at least 8 glasses of water everyday. So it is better to begin with this and increase according to your body needs.
- Quantity of water intake varies – The quantity varies depending on the body needs, weather conditions, geographical locations etc. So it is important to consider all these factors.
- Buy bottles instead of glass – One of the best things I discovered was, having water from bottles instead of glass. The disadvantage with glass is that once it gets over, you have to get up and refill it to drink water again and this sometimes doesn’t happen till you get up to refill. But with bottles, if you fill it up with water, you will mindlessly keep drinking water even when you are doing something else and the bottles will be empty before you even know it.
- Always keep a bottle full of water near you – This sounds simple but it is a very useful tip. If you have a water bottle near you, you will keep sipping water while watching T.V., reading a book, studying, thinking, talking etc. and even before you realize, you will be finishing up bottles of water and reaching your target.
- Schedule your water intake – Scheduling your water intake helps to keep track of the intake and whether you are reaching your target or not. It is always said that we should begin our morning with water as this helps to remove the toxins from the body. So have the first bottle in the morning, second in the afternoon, third in the evening and fourth bottle at night. This will help you to have equal consumption throughout the day. It is better to finish the last bottle before late night as it will help you to settle into a peaceful sleep.
- In addition – The water intake should be in addition to the other liquids that you intake like tea, coffee, juices, infused water etc… This will ensure that your body gets enough water. The other drinks may not be your regular drinks so it is better not to include them in the quantity of water intake you decide because you may end up not having them at all.
- Drink water as it is – Many a times people don’t like to drink water as it is. They think that plain water is boring. They prefer to have some taste in their water. Hence they go for substitutes like infused water. The infused waters have good health benefits and so they may seem like a good idea but they may not be convenient all the time. So if you get into the habit of having only infused water and if at some point you don’t find the ingredients, you may end up not having any water at all. So it is better to drink water as it is and not complicate it.
- Linking water drinking habit to other habits – One other way to develop this habit is to link drinking water to some routine tasks like after going to toilet, before food, after coming from outside etc… This will ensure that you drink water mindlessly.
- Drink warm or cold water according to the weather – I have noticed that my water intake depends on the weather. If it is a hot summer day, cold water (not ice-cold but normal cold) quenches my thirst and in winters warm water (not boiling water but lukewarm water) keeps me warm and I tend to drink more. Drinking cold water in winters will make you feel more cold and you will find it difficult to finish your bottles. Similarly in summers when the weather is hot outside, the cold water will cool you down.
- Fruits and vegetables – Fruits and vegetables are high in water content. They are another source of high water intake.
The water drinking habit has cured me of my illness. In addition there are a few other improvements that I noticed like it made my skin clear, improved my digestive system, increased my overall health, increased my concentration levels.
I hope many of you find my tips useful and are encouraged to drink more water because it definitely is a magical drink with umpteen benefits. Please don’t be discouraged if you fail a couple of times to instill this habit because it usually takes some time and effort on a consistent basis to form a habit.
P.s. This post was first published on my blog:
P.s. Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com