I recently visited a school of over one thousand students all dressed in the same attire.
As I looked at the young people sitting in front of me, many thoughts came to my mind about life and what destiny reserves for each of us.
I realised how hard, if not impossible, it was to know what each of them would become tomorrow.
We all have different destinies as decided by our Creator; but none is to keep us at the bottom.
We are all destined for greatness, but it is left to each one of us to tell God how far we want to go and to do what he has already decided that we must do to get it and we will get it.
If we go back to the young people I mentioned at the start, some of them might end up rising to very high positions in life while others will be in low positions.
Some of them might become financially independent while others will be financially dependent.
We have seen this happen. And many times do who go on to shine might not be those that looked most promising.
If you make a study of the extraordinary achievers and underachievers, you will find it has to do with:
- The way they used their time.
- The decisions they took.
- The choices they made.
- Their belief in their abilities.
- Their belief in divine guidance.
- How hard they worked.
- How determined they were.
- How motivated they were.
- How ready they were to persist.
- How prayerful they were.
- How much encouragement they got.
There are some young people who, right from school, know:
- What they want from life,
- What it takes to get it;
- Start to work for it;
- Are determined to succeed,
- And stay focused.
Such are the ones who go on to attain great heights.
If you do not know where you want to go, what happens?
Of course, you may end up going nowhere; or you wander to where you don’t like.
There are things we need to teach our children or help them do early:
- Teach them the importance of goal setting,
- Help them decide their life path. It may change as they grow, but it is absolutely important that at every stage in life, they should have a sense of direction; something they live for.
- Instill ambition in them. Don’t let your child be like the people among us who are not ambitious at all. They should not only be ambitious, or have dreams, they should have big dreams.
- Motivate and encourage them. Motivation and encouragement are of paramount importance. If they are not motivated to aspire, they will end as chicken scratching the soil for a living instead of soaring in the sky like the eagle they are meant to be.
Let me reiterate that God did not create us humans for mediocrity. God created us for great things. Every single thing that God created is great.
The children God has blessed us with are no exception. They are so full of potential. We must not allow them to waste that potential.
Unfortunately, for lack of awareness and know-how many parents are allowing the great potential of their progeny to waste away making them end in misery instead of the shining stars that they are meant to be.
Let us not do this.